Education on the Halfshell
Using Oysters to Teach Biological Concepts
Education on the Halfshell lessons are written by teachers,
for teachers to introduce your students to the American
oyster, “sentinel” of the estuary.
Each lesson includes:
- Background information
- Blackline masters
- Alternative assessments
- Answer keys
- Extension ideas
- Resources and web links
- Correlations to the Louisiana and National Science Education
- Understanding a Dichotomous Key – students will
learn to use a dichotomous key by identifying various
- Creating a Dichotomous Key – students will explore
the benefits of creating dichotomous keys as a means of
identifying an organism or object.
- Writing a Descriptive Essay – students will lean
how to write a descriptive essay as a means of identifying
an organism or object.
- Oyster Culture Cycle – students will understand
the fragile balance of providing food for our growing
population and learn how the oyster hatchery can help
with this balance.